Bontrager XDX TLR Tire Review

Since switching to full rigid, I've come to realize the importance of a large volume tire. Initially I just wanted one for the "suspension" it would provide. After spending some time on a few different models now, I've come to really enjoy the added benefits of a big tire. Benefits such as smoother rolling, more traction, etc. With many of the modern tires available, they are coming in large sizes with little weight penality. For example, the Bontrager XDX TLT 2.4 Tubeless-ready tire weighs 732 grams on my scale. 732 grams for a 2.4 tubeless-ready tire... that isn't bad.

This is one of Bontrager's more recent tire designs. I was hunting for a tire to replace my 2.35 Kenda Nevegal that failed (we'll save that story for another time) and came across this one at my LBS. It uses mostly square knobs in a pretty open spaced pattern. Almost like a Kenda Small Block Eight but with less knobs and more spacing.


Given that I wanted the large volume for comfort, I have been running the tire around 23psi. I have it mounted to ZTR Flow rims and am running it tubeless with 1.5 scoops of Stan's sealant. It rolls noticeably faster than the Kenda Nevegal (not that that is saying much). It gets a little skittish on loose-over-hardpack in the corners, but hasn't washed-out yet. The nice thing is that it is predictable in its traction even when it starts getting skittish.

Overall, I think it is an excellent tire. It is a pretty good value and handles nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment